The American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) serves more than 53,000 members in the U.S. and around the world. With more than 175 talented employees, our organization places tremendous value on the contributions, expertise and knowledge that each one brings to our table. Our Schaumburg, Illinois headquarters is home to member support, education, marketing and operational functions, while colleagues in Washington D.C. advocate on behalf of patients, physician anesthesiologists and the specialty. Thanks to our positive, supportive work environment, ASA has been named one of Chicago's Best & Brightest Companies to Work For® over the last three years. In 2018 and 2017, ASA was also named one of the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation®. As we continually seek to strengthen the organization, we welcome individuals who are competent, innovative, motivated and agile. If this sounds like you, please consider reaching out!
This position will provide broad-based support and expertise on a range of physician payment, coding/billing, and coverage issues. Ideal candidates are comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple project deadlines and can work collaboratively in a team environment. Occasional evening conference calls and weekend travel maybe required.
For the first 6-12 months of employment, a Washington DC-based healthcare consulting firm will provide consulting services to supplement ASA in onboarding, training and ongoing support and oversight.
Primary Position Responsibilities:
· Provide expert anesthesia and pain medicine coding/billing responses to complex billing and coding inquiries from or on behalf of ASA members. Track, report, and present draft responses to inquiries to Department Director.
· Review Medicare/Medicaid-related regulations, policies and other documents. Track and analyze coding payment and coverage issues of interest to the specialty. Assist in the development of public comment letters and draft expert responses to proposed policy changes.
· Monitor and assess private sector payment initiatives including coverage policy criteria and value-based payment initiatives.
· Develop, implement and assist with the promotion of toolkits, webinars and other practice management resources to help improve the efficiency, effectiveness, and profitability of member practices.
· Ensure that Payment and Practice Management content on ASA website is active, accurate and timely.
· Assist with ASA’s CPT and AMA/Specialty Society RVS Update Committee (RUC) work and projects.
· Assist/participate in the annual update and revision of ASA coding publications (Relative Value Guide® (RVGtm) CROSSWALK® and Reverse CROSSWALK®.
· Minimum 3 years of related work experience, such as experience in a specialty society or medical practice (anesthesia /pain medicine preferred) environment.
· Coding certification (e.g. AHIMA or AAPC) and/or practice management certification (e.g., MGMA) preferred.
· Knowledge anesthesia/pain medicine coding/billing highly desired.
· Strong analytic, research and writing skills.
· Experience and general comfort in developing and reviewing spreadsheets.
· Working knowledge of the federal regulatory process.
· Ability to effectively communicate with contacts inside and outside of the organization.
· Ability to effectively communicate with and be responsive to the needs of all members of the organization.
About American Society of Anesthesiologists
The American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) is a medical association that serves more than 53,000 members in the U.S. and around the world. We strive to be the world's premier medical society by offering superior educational opportunities and resources to our members, as well as a positive, empowering environment for our employees.
With more than 175 talented, enthusiastic employees, our organization places tremendous value on the contributions, unique expertise, and vast knowledge that every individual brings to our table. Our Schaumburg, Illinois headquarters is home to a variety of member support, education, marketing, and operational functions, while colleagues in Washington D.C. fiercely advocate on behalf of patients, physician anesthesiologists and the specialty as a whole.
Each of us is dedicated to our members and we strive to create an outstanding experience that helps them succeed. This commitment to excellence reaches far beyond our daily tasks—we set high expectations for ourselves, exhibit a strong work ethic and take pride in the results we achieve. Collectively, our desire to keep improving allows us to achieve great things as we seek feedback, pursue know...ledge, and strategize to enhance our organization for the future.
One tangible result of living these values is being named one of Chicago's Best & Brightest Companies to Work For® in addition to one of the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation® for three years in a row.
As we continually seek to strengthen the organization, we welcome individuals who are competent, innovative, motivated, and agile. If this sounds like you, please consider reaching out!