The Illinois Retail Merchants Association is looking to expand a focused membership effort. The ideal candidate is an energetic, enterprising and ambitious sales professional seeking to make an impact. Strong oral and written communication skills a must. This direct sales position will identify new members by prospecting and building a strategy to enhance the association’s membership. This person will need to be persistent, with follow through skills. Experience within a sales organization and knowledge of associations are very important. This position will help take the organization to the next level.
LOCATION & TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS Job location is in Chicago or Springfield. In-state travel is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES Sales and Membership Retention
Develop lead generation strategies that identify membership opportunities for the Association within the retail industry in Illinois.
Research different areas within Illinois to target as well as retailers who would benefit from IRMA membership.
Conduct sales calls in person and over the telephone.
Develop and implement strategies to small and mid-size companies to achieve IRMA’s sales objectives and member retention.
Prospect Information Documentation and Maintenance
Input/update prospect/member notes into database to ensure information is up to date and accurate.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
1. Bachelor’s degree is required; preferably in marketing, communications, or business. Proof required.
2. Three (3) or more years of relevant business-to-business sales/ business development experience with a proven track record.
3. Entrepreneurial spirit; interest and ability to create new strategies and programs.
4. Proven relationship builder.
5. Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
6. Ability to work independently with minimal direction, as well as in a team environment.
7. Experience leveraging social media as part of sales strategy.
8. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
9. Professional appearance & demeanor.
10. Ability to develop relationships and articulate IRMA’s value to prospects.
11. A clean driving record a must.
Excellent skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office applications such as Word and Excel.
Confidant navigating social media.
A clean driving record required.
Membership-based business development experience.
Professional service sales experience.
Interest and knowledge of issues that impact businesses in Illinois.
Base plus commission; includes competitive benefits package.
Contact: Please send resumes and cover letters to: Sandra Napoli-D’Arco
Additional Salary Information: Competitive salary and benefits.
About Illinois Retail Merchants Association
The Illinois Retail Merchants Association (IRMA) benefits Illinois retailing through effective engagement with retailers, the general public, policy makers, and the media regarding the impact legislative and regulatory proposals will have on the success of retail operations. As retailers' voice in the Capitol, Chicago City Hall, Cook County Board Chambers, and regulatory agencies across the state, IRMA closely monitors legislative and regulatory activity, voicing opposition to anti-business proposals and supporting and passing business friendly initiatives.
Employing 1 out of every 5 people in Illinois, the retail industry is a driving force of the state’s economy. Retailers across the state are proud to call Illinois home but Illinois needs to stabilize and strengthen the economic environment to bolster existing employers and attract new ones. IRMA’s government affairs team is on the front lines of issues that directly affect retailers’ bottom line. IRMA is well-positioned to serve